Very Brief History of Club 103, now known officially as
Rotary Club of Chattanooga dates its beginning on New Year’s
Night, January 1, 1914. On this night a group of business
and professional men assembled in the old Commercial Club in
the Hamilton National Bank and decided to organize a Rotary
Club. The original group of founders included J.W. Bishop,
Nelson C. Blanchard, A.W. Burke, John R. Evans, James F.
Finlay, George J. Haley, Houston R. Harper, Charles H.
Harris, Walter C. Johnson, Fred A. Maxwell, John T. Owen,
Warren L. Rohr, William B. Schwartz, and Fred F. Wallace.
Chattanooga was the one hundred and
third Rotary Club, the ninety-first American city to welcome
Rotary, the eighth in the Southeast, and the third in
Tennessee. The Rotary Club of Chattanooga is the oldest and
largest club in District 6780. The State of Tennessee
chartered the Rotary Club of Chattanooga on January 14,
1914. The charter was received and approved by the club at
the Patten Hotel on January 23, 1914 with 24 members
attending. The Club’s International charter, designating it
as Club # 103, was issued on March 1, 1914. The new
numbering system now calls Chattanooga "Club 3848" and our
new district number is "6780".
As the Rotary Organization grew from
"US" to "International" in scope, many old traditions have
had to change.