|HOME||GLOBAL||DISTRICTS||CLUBS||MISSING HISTORIES||PAUL HARRIS||PEACE|
|PRESIDENTS||CONVENTIONS||POST YOUR HISTORY||WOMEN||FOUNDATION||COMMENTS||PHILOSOPHY|
|SEARCH||SUBSCRIPTIONS||JOIN RGHF||EXPLORE RGHF||RGHF QUIZ||RGHF MISSION|
Rotary Club of Hartford #26**
Rotary District 7890 (no history)
1 August 1911
The Hartford Rotary Club has approximately 55 members. The members come from diverse backgrounds and occupations and work and live in the greater Hartford Community. Our members are dedicated to exemplifying their life consistent with the Rotary "Four Way Test" and service beyond self.
** RGHF note: Spokane was officially chartered by RI on 17 July 1911 and was given the number 21. Hartford Connecticut was chartered on 14 July but was given the number 26. Both clubs use #21. See archives
In the offices of Richard Northrop, at the Travelers Insurance Company, the first organizational meeting of the Hartford Rotary Club was held on December 6, 1910. The Club was notified on July 24, 1911 that their application for membership in the National Association of Rotary Clubs of America had been approved.
The Club was
formed and operated as a menís business club.
In 1986 all that changed when the by-laws of the Hartford Rotary Club
were amended to admit women as full members.
This was revolutionary since the action of the Hartford Rotary
members preceded the Supreme Court mandate requiring the admission of women
by one year.
was elected to serve as our first president for the year 1910 Ė 1911.
Since then we have had 89 presidents.
Charles B. Cook was president on our 25th anniversary;
Arthur C. Stevens was president on our 50th anniversary and Louis
W. Romanos was president on our 75th anniversary.
The Hartford Rotary Club has been involved in the expansion of Rotary within the greater Hartford area with club formations in East Hartford (1928); Wethersfield (1938); Manchester (1940); Simsbury (1946); Glastonbury (1948); West Hartford (1952); Coventry (1956); Newington (1959); South Windsor (1960); East Windsor (1970); Bloomfield (1972); Avon (1973); Farmington (1974); Windsor (1975) and Hartford Sunrise (1988).
has been involved in numerous projects that include a call to arms to assist
families struck by the famous Winsted flood of 1954; renovation of the Keney
Zoo in the mid 1960ís; forging a partnership with the J.C. Clark School
through a combination of financial and educational resources; volunteers to
assist the Hartford Marathon; Hartford Eagles program working with fifth and
sixth grade boys to build self awareness; Junior Rotarians to provide high
school students the opportunity to network with business leaders; the Polio
Plus campaign in which we raised $150,000; financial support to numerous
local charities; participation in the Rotary Group Study Exchange, and the
establishment of a student exchange program with our sister city in
there have been 130 Paul Harris Fellows awarded in our club with multiple
Paul Harris Fellows awarded to 35 individuals.
Further, in 1999 the Rotary Club of Hartford established an Endowment Fund, within the Rotary Club of Hartford Do Good Fund, to permanently endow the club with funds from lifetime and testamentary gifts to generate income to provide resources to carry on our community service projects.
From the Hartford Rotary website, posted by Jack Selway 12 June 2009