HOME GLOBAL DISTRICTS CLUBS MISSING HISTORIES PAUL HARRIS PEACE
PRESIDENTS CONVENTIONS POST YOUR HISTORY WOMEN FOUNDATION COMMENTS PHILOSOPHY
SEARCH SUBSCRIPTIONS FACEBOOK JOIN RGHF EXPLORE RGHF RGHF QUIZ RGHF MISSION
Home SECTION HOME Histories of Rotary Districts & Clubs - www.districthistory.org SEARCH
REGIONS COUNTRIES DISTRICTS RI ARCHIVES FOR CLUBS CLUBS SUBMIT YOUR DISTRICT HISTORY
    HISTORY CALENDAR COMMITTEE WHAT'S NEW? DISCUSSION

THE DISTRICT4890 HISTORY

A Part of our History of Districts in Argentina, South America

Prepared by the district and not verified by Rotary Global History

  

 

Rotary was born in Chicago on 23/02/1905 and was gradually spread by the free world.

Thus came the Rotary year 1918-1919, when Montevideo became the first Rotary Club on the South American continent, on 2 February 1919.

 

Then followed the Rotary Club of Buenos Aires on 8-11-1919; Rotary Club of Lima in 1921; Rotary Club of Rio de Janeiro in 1922; Rotary Club of Valparaiso in 1923 and Rotary Cub of St. Paul in 1924.

 

In Argentina remains the Rotary Club of Buenos Aires, the Rotary Club of Rosario in 1922; Rotary Club of La Plata in 1925 and Rotary Club of Cordoba in 1926.

 

This multiplication of the Rotary International clubs forced to appoint commissioners to the care and support of these new Rotary units, bear the designation of Heriberto Percival Coates, an Englishman based in Montevideo.

 

As the task of these officers of Rotary International was Herculean, representatives of existing clubs met from 17 to 20 February, 1927 in Montevideo, in a "South American Conference of Rotary Clubs."

 

For Argentina, they sent delegates from the Rotary Clubs of Buenos Aires, Cordoba, La Plata and Rosario of Argentina; for Brazil the Rotary Clubs of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo; for Uruguay, Rotary Club of Montevideo; for Peru, Rotary Club Lima; and for Chile, Rotary Club of Santiago, acting as representative of the Board of Directors of Rotary International, its Director Don Thomas Sutton of Mexico, then came to be President of Rotary International.

 

According to the treaty at the Conference since its proposal, Rotary International District decided to group together in clubs, for better care.

 

Thus was born District 63, which brings together the clubs of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay, and District 64, which would do the same with clubs Chile and Peru.

 

In such a circumstance was appointed the first Governor of District 63, who was the president of the Rotary Club of Montevideo and District 64, Don Eduardo Moore.

 

The District held its first District Conference in Buenos Aires in April 1928 but in in 1929, separated Brazil District 63, moving to integrate District 72, becoming the first district devoted solely to the attention of clubs from Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

This continuing expansion of Rotary International forced them to make successive restructuring, in order to facilitate care practice of clubs that were multiplying daily.

 

So on 1 July 1938 was again divided District 63 into two new districts that were called District 30 and District 31.

 

In 1939 came a new district, No. 32, which was nurtured with the clubs of the Federal Capital, Buenos Aires Province and the entire territory of La Pampa and Neuquen to the south.

 

In 1949 their number was replaced by the No. 138, and in the year 1958-1959 Rotary became the District No. 489 (its current name 4890).

 

Creation of the Rotary Club Belgrano

With territory ceded by the Rotary Club of Buenos Aires, Rotary representative Raul Miserendino began operations on April 17, 1954, being accepted by Rotary International on 1 June of that year, under the Governorate of Victor M. Arriaga.

 

Its charter received from the hands of the President of Rotary International Herbert J. Taylor, December 3, 1954, by the District Governor Julio A. Mendez and President of Rotary Club of Buenos Aires Cesar A. Tognoni.

 

Its first president was Don Ramon Columba, and Secretary, Carlos B. Risso.

Creation of the Rotary Club of Villa Urquiza

 

The Rotary Club of Buenos Aires ceded territory and appointed special representative to its partner Dr. Carlos E. Ottolenghi, to initiate the formation of the club, together with partners from the Rotary Club Belgrano, and Hector Figueroa Rodolfo Puente Pistarini.

It culminated its management on August 16, 1955, when it held its first weekly meeting.

 

Its first president was Dr. Carlos E. de la Colina, and Secretary, Luis Rial

 

 

 

 

This History was Extracted from a Google Translation of the District Web Site and edited by Greg Barlow 12 August 2008

RGHF Home | Disclaimer | Privacy | Usage Agreement | RGHF on Facebook | Subscribe | Join RGHF - Rotary's Memory Since 2000