|HOME||GLOBAL||DISTRICTS||CLUBS||MISSING HISTORIES||PAUL HARRIS||PEACE|
|PRESIDENTS||CONVENTIONS||POST YOUR HISTORY||WOMEN||FOUNDATION||COMMENTS||PHILOSOPHY|
|SEARCH||SUBSCRIPTIONS||JOIN RGHF||EXPLORE RGHF||RGHF QUIZ||RGHF MISSION|
|ROTARY GLOBAL HISTORY||SECTION HOME||First Rotary Clubs of Central, South America, and Caribbean||HISTORY OUTLINE||RI ARCHIVES|
|HISTORY CALENDAR||buenos aires||havana||lima||mexico city||montevideo|
|panama city||rio||san juan||sao paulo||valparaiso||FRIENDSHIP TREES|
|ROTH||SPANISH SITE||HISTORY||FIRST IN EACH REGION|
Brief histories of the "Rotario Latin America" Clubs
Rotario Club of Montevideo, Uruguay, First Club of Uruguay
Rotario International Distrito 4980
Part of our History of Rotary in South America Section
The home of Rotary International President
Joaquin Serratosa Cibils 1953-1954
The original 90 year old Charter and Minutes of Charter Meeting are still in the possession of the Club
Heriberto (Herbert) P. Coates, Founder of Rotary Club of Montevideo July 19, 1918
A Brief History of the Rotary Club of Montevideo.
In 1943, on the 25 year anniversary, the RC Montevideo was privileged to be a partial headquarters of the International Assembly. This was due to the restrictions imposed by war on travel by sea to the U>S. Our Club welcomed the governors proposed for the following year in this region.
In 1969 the RC Montevideo celebrated its golden jubilee, and hosted the Third Regional Conference Sudamericana, and in 1993 (to reach the seventy-five years of life) hosted the Fifth Regional Conference Sudamericana. Both conferences marked very high moments in the South American brotherhood of Rotary, having achieved attendance of about two thousand people at each conference.
The Rotary Club of Montevideo, has provided great service to Rotary International via its Board of Directors: Donato Gamin, First Vice-President in 1934-35; Joaquin Serratosa Cibils, Second Vice President in 1940-41 and in 1953-54; Rodolfo Almeida Pintos, Second Vice-President in 1952-53; Mario Peyrot, Director in 1964-65 and Achilles Guerra, director in 1989-91.
At present the club has 210 members, and makes the work of community service very prominent. It has also maintained for several years, intense exchange programs with several clubs in the region (Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile and Porto Alegre).
Since the introduction of records of Governors and grouping of clubs by districts in 1927, the RC of Montevideo, has provided twenty-three district governors, and has always been a strong auxiliary work of governance.
The Centennial celebration began in our club, with the reception and use of Bell Centennial
which we received in October 2005.
In the formation of this and other clubs in Uruguay, Coates was ably assisted by James H. Roth.
This history was extracted from the Club web site by RGHF Webmaster, Greg Barlow with appreciation to Club members. The history was not verified by RGHF.