Wheel History
HOME GLOBAL DISTRICTS CLUBS MISSING HISTORIES PAUL HARRIS PEACE
PRESIDENTS CONVENTIONS POST YOUR HISTORY WOMEN FOUNDATION COMMENTS PHILOSOPHY
LEGAL ISSUES CLUB PRESIDENTS DISTRICT GOVERNORS TRUSTEES DIRECTORS 1ST PRESIDENT TIMELINE
EARLY HISTORY RGHF VOICES FAMOUS WOMEN ROTARY ANN JEAN THOMSON INNER WHEEL SUBSCRIPTIONS
SEARCH

Wheel History

Historic Wheels
Fun
Trademarks
Violations
Why so many cogs?
Rotary Membership Pin History 
A wheel has been the symbol of Rotary since our earliest days. The first design was made by Chicago Rotarian Montague Bear, an engraver who drew a simple wagon wheel, with a few lines to show dust and motion.

The wheel was said to illustrate "Civilization and Movement." Most of the early clubs had some form of wagon wheel on their publications and letterheads. Finally, in 1922, it was decided that all Rotary clubs should adopt a single design as the exclusive emblem of Rotarians.

Thus, in 1923, the present gear wheel, with 24 cogs and six spokes was adopted by the "Rotary International Association." A group of engineers advised that the geared wheel was mechanically unsound and would not work without a "keyway" in the center of the gear to attach it to a power shaft.

So, in 1923 the keyway was added and the design which we now know was formally adopted as the official Rotary International emblem.
 


Go to All RGHF Menus


RGHF members, who have been invited to this page, may register

RGHF members, who have been invited to this page, may register
If a DGE/N/D joins prior to their year, they will have more exposure to Rotary's Global History by their service year.
This will be beneficial to all concerned.
*Based on paid members, subscribers, Facebook friends, Twitter followers, mobile app users, History Library users, web pages, and articles about Rotary's Global History

RGHF Home | Disclaimer | Privacy | Usage Agreement | RGHF on Facebook | Subscribe | Join RGHF |