Lakeland North, FL, USA
Service Above Self!
The Early Years
The Rotary Club of Lakeland North (Florida) was organized in 1973 through the efforts of many of the members of the Rotary club of Lakeland. Gene Dampier, Jack Varassee and Mack Townley felt the need of a breakfast club in Lakeland, since both Lakeland Rotary and Lakeland South Rotary held noon meetings. Discussions soon followed with Mark Hollis, who at the time was chairman of the Lakeland Rotary's Expansion Committee. Along with special representatives Les Ginkel of Winter Park and Win Pendleton of Windermere, it was decided that an application would be submitted to Rotary International to charter Lakeland North Rotary.
A charter was approved effective September 5, 1973, and Lakeland North Rotary became the third Rotary club in Lakeland with 33 charter members. Opening ceremonies for the new club included the presentation of the charter to Club President William Gene Dampier. The charter presentation was done by the President of Rotary International, William C. Carter and District 695 Governor K.R. Popham of Winter Haven. Also on hand was Lakeland Mayor George Trask, who later became a member of Lakeland North Rotary.
Meetings were originally held at the Pancake House, 300 East Memorial Boulevard. In early 1974, charter member Mack Townley asked George Jenkins if the club meeting could be held at Lone Palm Golf Club. Mr. Jenkins gave his approval, and since that time the club has met at Lone Palm on Wednesdays at 7:00 A.M.
Some of the charter members:
Joe B. Blanton, Insurance Agent - John Bohanon, Peoples Bank - Lenton Brunson, Publix Supermarkets - Bob Cahall, GTE - Gene Dampier, Publix Supermarkets - Larry Davis, Polk Pump & Irrigation - Bill Fraker, YMCA Director - Doug Hall, Food Brokerage - Mark D. Hollis, Chemist Publix Supermarkets - Hank Jennings, OBGYN - Jack Packett, Publix Supermarkets - Jim Rossow, GM, Jim Adams Ford - J. Ron Smith, Attorney - Steve Stevens, Mining Supply Co. - Mack Townley, Nova Food Brokerage - Jack Varassee, Brach Candies - Jeff Fee, Education.
Thanks to Dick Townley, first governor of District 6890, for providing the above history.
- Awards multiple scholarships annually for college-bound high school graduates
- Sponsors the Interact Clubs
- Sponsors students to Seminars for Tomorrow's Leaders (S4TL / RYLA), focusing on citizenship and leadership qualities in high school students (2014-awarded 2 students and provided Rotarian leadership)
- Contributes to worldwide service projects as Paul Harris Fellows (2014-30 members)
- Supports the Rotary International Youth Exchange program--(2013-)
- Supports the Rotary International Group Exchange program--(2015-)
- Donates to Rotary International’s PolioPlus program that has nearly eradicated of polio worldwide
- In 2013-14, became a 100% Paul Harris Fellow club
|2010-2011||2011-2012||2012-2013||2013-2014 Al Dotson||2014-2015 John Burcham|
Meetings and Information
Please join us at our weekly meeting!
Wednesday of each week at 7:00 am
We meet Wednesdays at 7:00 AM Fresco's 308 E. Lemon St., Lakeland, FL, 33801 USA
- See more at: http://lakelandnorthrotary.org
Contact us at
Rotary Club of Lakeland North
PO Box 362
Lakeland, FL 33801 USA
Making up a meeting in the past meant long drives. This meeting list was from the 1977-1978 Mount Dora Club Membership Roster. Notice that Lakeland North was a makeup location for Mount Dora at the time.
Club Virtual Presence
Public Image Chair: Al Dotson Content Started By: Neal Steiger