Port Harcourt East, Rivers, Nigeria
Service Above Self!
How it Began
The organization of the Rotary Club of Port Harcourt East started on Saturday, the 25th of July 2009 when Rtn Felix Ideriah, President, Rotary Club of Port Harcourt sponsors of Rotary Club of Port Harcourt declared his intention to extend Rotary to other parts of Port Harcourt Metropolis during his induction ceremony on July 25, 2009. He thereafter set up a committee, the Rotary Extension Committee to execute this project. The Committee, under the chairmanship of PAG James Okwuowu with Rtns M. C. Nwaka, H. E Omosigbo, and D. Ovueraye, as members, swung into action and soon established and submitted the guideline for the organization of a new Rotary Club to the Board of Rotary Club of Port Harcourt identifying five possible communities as catchment areas for new Rotary Clubs.
- Rumuolumeni, Ada George, Rumuepirikom, etc.
- Elelenwo, Rumuogba, Elimgbu, Woji, Rumuobiakani, etc.
- UST, Agip, Rumume, GRA, etc.
- Eleme Junction, Intels, Obigbo, etc.
- Rumuokoro, Rumuigbo, Rumudunmaya, etc.
The first catchment area identified for extension by the committee was the Rumuolumeni, Ada George, and Rumuepirikom communities. A survey of the area was conducted with the help of members of the Rotary Club of COE Main led by their President, Rtns Noble Isi, and Nchelem Elenwo of this club. A guest list was drawn up and about 40 people were invited to the First Pre-Charter meeting of the Club tentatively called Rotary Club of Rumuolumeni, scheduled as follows, 10 September 2009, Venue Max-Chef Hotel, Max-Chef Rd, off Rumuolumeni Road, Port Harcourt.
Only 11 of the 40 guests invited turned up to grace the occasion. But with eight other Rotarians from the Rotary Club of Port Harcourt, the Sponsoring Club, the stage was set and history was made with Past President Ijeoma Okoro scheduled to present a paper titled what Is Rotary. Also the following papers were presented in the course of the pre-Charter Meetings:
- Membership Development by Rtn Chuka Akukwe
- Matching Grant: Its Application by Rtn Frank Eni
- An Effective Club by Rtn Felix Ideriah
- The Rotary Foundation by Rtn Chidozie Nwaka
- Succession in Rotary by Rtn Dom Okafor
- Rotary Partners-in Service by Rtn Henry Omosigbo
Since then the Club meetings have been regular till date. During the inaugural meeting, it was agreed that the meeting venue be changed from max-chef Hotel to City Crown Hotel, Rumuolumeni Road, Port Harcourt. All the meetings so far have been well attended and the fellowship, well organized with Club Bullettins published regularly. Decisions Decision on Club matters were taken by members on various dates as shown below:
- Thursday, 17 September, 2009, Members determined and adopted Club Name, Locality, Meeting Time and Venue.
- Thursday, 24 September, 2009, Members approved the proposed Club Budget specifying, Admission fees and club Dues.
- Thursday, 5 November, Club President and Club Board/Officers were elected.
- Thursday, 5 November, Standard Rotary Club Constitution. Club Bylaws and Club Committee Structure.
The Rotary International admitted Rotary Club of Port Harcourt East to its fold on December 29, by this admission the club dropped the appellation, “provisional” and became a substantive Rotary Club in District 9140.
On Saturday, March 20, 2010 Rtn Edward Uduak, DG 2009-10 Performed the Charter Presentation Ceremony as he presented the Club's Charter Certificate to Charter president, Rtn Emma Okas Wike in a well organized and attended ceremony.
==Societal Contributions—Avenues of Service==
|Charter President||2009-2010 Emma Okas Wike|
|2015-2016 Dr Damian Ukaji||2016-2017||2017-2018||2018-2019||
Meetings and Information
Please join us at our weekly meeting!
Tuesday of each week at 5:30 pm
City Crown Hotel Limited
Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria
Contact us at
Rotary Club of Port Harcourt East
Phone: +234 803 7067 812
Phone: +234 815 2957 835
Email the Club